The club was founded in 1925 and is situated next to Rosalie Primary School on Onslow Road in the suburb of Shenton Park (within Rosalie Park – previously known as the Onslow Reserve).
With more than 230 members, and a mix of social and competition play, the club caters for all tennis interests, from league and night competitions to training sessions, socials, corporate events and junior programmes. Members can join in organised social play on Wednesday mornings (Midweek), Wednesday late afternoon/early evenings, Friday twilight during summer, or Saturday afternoons, or can come and go as they please subject to court availability. There is a strong Junior club and the club’s dynamic coach Matt Bull offers a great range of challenging and entertaining programs through Tennis Factory for adults and juniors alike.
The season runs from the opening of the grass courts in October. The grass courts are available through to June, and the four hard courts are available throughout the year.
You will find a friendly group of people at the club and a great opportunity to make friends and keep fit.
A short history of Onslow Park Tennis Club and how it got a new club house and 4 hard courts.
Club established and the first entries recorded on the club’s honour boards.
18 December 1940:
Having lost a great number of members to enlistment the club membership stood at just 14 men and 25 ladies and the club was facing a financial crisis. The club wrote to the Council seeking assistance and offering to reduce court use to four courts.
12 August 1946:
Membership had recovered to 76.
Onslow Road reserve was officially named Rosalie Park.
The late 1950s and Early 1960s:
In 1960 the population of Perth was just under 500,000 and the baby boom was in full swing with 32.5% of the population under 15 years of age (current population is 1,659,000). Tim Winton was born. The hit song of the year was Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.
Margaret Smith (Court) won the Australian Open for the first time (going on to win the title eleven times and Neale Fraser won Wimbledon and the US Open.
The basic weekly wage in Perth was £13.6.0 for men and £10.7.0 for women.
Fees at OPTC were £4.17.6 for Men and £4.2.6 for Ladies, representing 0.7% and 0.77% of annual income, respectively.
Note, 2010 membership fees are 0.33% of the current average male annual income and 0.42% of the female annual income. Average income in Western Australia is $72,618 for men and $57,522 for women.
21 October 1957:
Onslow Park Tennis Club incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1895-1947 with the objects of permitting and encouraging the playing of Lawn Tennis by Amateurs.
15 December 1958:
Club secretary wrote to the Council requesting removal of the pine trees to the rear of courts 8 and 9 which are causing damage to the courts.
Agreement that a new club house was needed.
16 March 1959:
A Club deputation to the Council requesting a loan of £4,000 received a cordial reception and in principle agreement to providing the loan subject to the club providing a deposit of £500 and making annual repayments of £250.
4 May 1959:
Special Committee meets to discuss designs for a new Club House.
27 May 1959:
Letter written to Council providing details and costs for proposed Club House and formally requesting a loan of £4,000.
Secretary again wrote to the Council requesting removal of the pine trees to the rear of courts 8 and 9.
1 July 1959:
Letter received from the Council offering a £4,000 loan.
13 July 1959:
A model of the proposed new Club House was put on display.
21 September 1959:
Building plans completed.
12 October 1959:
At the Annual General Meeting it was reported that the architect’s plans had been submitted to the Council and that they were pleased with the design. Tenders called by the Council.
16 November 1959:
Tenders for the construction of the new Club House received.
21 December 1959:
Club recommends that the tender be awarded to Mr Haverkort.
15 February 1960:
Club accepts the Council’s recommended builder’s price of £4,799 from Mr Haverkort.
22 March 1960:
20-year Lease Contract signed between the City of Subiaco and Onslow Park Tennis Club (Inc) with an initial premium of £799 (equivalent to $19,500 today) and twenty annual payments of £332.5.2 in two instalments of £166.2.7 (equivalent to $8,096 annually today). The club has responsibility for all maintenance of the nine grass courts (at that time) and of the building. The club also agrees to undertake the demolition of the existing Pavilion by 14 April 1960 prior to commencement of the new construction and receives a tender of £60 from Fullers.
22 March 1960:
Building Contract signed between the builder Hermannus Alphonsius Haverkort of 413 Railway Road and the City of Subiaco for the erection and building of a Pavilion and Change Rooms for the sum of £4,799 to be completed before the expiration of sixteen weeks. Signed by the Mayor J H Abrahams (the club’s patron) and by the OPTC President E Hodge, Treasurer G Wilkinson and Secretary V Wardrop. In today’s money £4,799 would be equivalent to $116,935.34.
Club purchases 100 Stakka metal chairs for £207.7.10 (equivalent to $5,053.43 today). As the chairs are still being used after 50 years
22 October 1960:
Official opening of new Club House.
Club makes the fortieth and final payment to the Council for the new Club House bringing the total paid by the club to £7,450.0.0 (equivalent to $181,420 today).
22 October 1984:
More than 160 ratepayers protested against the removal of any large trees in Rosalie Park. A compromise was proposed by the Council where three of the eleven old pine trees were retained.
Two new hard courts with installed lights opened. Tennis Factory was given the opportunity to take up a coaching contract with the Club.
Membership increases from 135 to 189 members.
The club has two men’s pennants teams, one ladies team and several junior teams. The Juniors Under 14 Boys brings home a shield for the first time in twenty years.
Another two new illuminated hard courts were installed which bring a total of 4 illuminated hard courts. As a result, more pennants home matches are accommodated at the club.
Covid-19 pandemic hit the world, including OPTC. Following the Government’s restriction, the Club courts and facility are closed for about a month since the last week of March. After Easter, the Club is partially open for a single games only, and the Club hardcourt booking system was prepared to facilitate this.
1 January 2021:
After 28 years without a lease, the Club has finally sealed a lease with the City of Subiaco for five plus five years. This gives the Club the security to progress with the Club 5-year improvement plan commencing in 2020.
From 1 January 2021, the Club has its own greenkeeper who maintain and improve the 7 grass courts. Another plan in 2021 is to have lights installed for the grass courts by the 2021/22 season.